Within the flexible packaging industry there are a variety of options to choose from. In our last installment on flexible packaging we discussed stand up pouches and stand up zip top packages. In this article we will further discuss the options that product manufactures find ideal within the packaging and labeling industry.
Three Side Seal Pouches
A three sided seal pouch is a non-resealing option that includes a traditional lay flat pouch. Once these packages are opened they do not offer a resalable feature such as a slider or zipper. With this option a fill wrap around graphic label option is available. This type of pouch packaging allows for a quicker manufacturing turn around as they allow for high speed, high volume package manufacturing.
The flexible package is created with a three side seal that allows a consumer to fill the package with the product that is desired. The final seal is applied by using heat to seal the package. This option of bag packaging comes in a variety of materials and sizes including customizable options like holes, tear notches or rounded corners. Consider the follow options when choosing a non-resealable flexible pouch:
- Gusseted bottoms
- Rounded corners, tear notches and holes
- Non sealing after initial opening
- High speed, multiple lane manufacturing to allow for an incredibly competitive product
Resealing Sliding Pouches
There are a variety of pre made sliding pouches available within the flexible packaging industry. Side gusseted pouches with slider closures are popular. Consider the following pouch slider types when looking into flexible packaging for your company’s products.
- Hooded: A hooded pouch slider is most commonly used in food application of flexible packaging where a high level of sanitation is needed.
- Exposed: When sanitation isn’t necessary in applications other than food, where a heavier bag where more strength is needed than sanitation an exposed pouch slider is the best option.
- Power-proof: This type of sliding pouch closure is ideal when manufacturing powders or granulated products. This closure looks like a small plow and is created to clear a path along the closure in order to prevent particles from getting lodged in the track of the flexible package.
- “S” Slider: This is a pouch enclosure that is used for the highest retention within the industry. When it comes to packaging heavier products such as pet food, lawn seed or garden fertilizer an “S” slider is the option most likely to be used. This is available in exposed style packages.
In the last installment on flexible packaging we will look into the final enclosures that are popular the side gusseted pouch and quad sealing pouch.